Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Guy I Look Up To


Today I received an email with an attached hunting photo, my favorite kind of email.  It was of a person who I look up to and has been a great role model and friend to me for the past dozen years or so.  His name is Jerry.  I first met him when he accompanied my dad and I on a Quebec Caribou hunt.  Our bush plane hit the tundra the day I turned 13, which marks the beginning of what has been and hopefully will continue to be a great hunting career.  On that trip, I shot two very nice caribou before I had even harvested my first whitetail buck.  As you can imagine a kid like me was walking on air for a long time.  During that trip I learned a lot, and the relationship formed with Jerry would lead to many more days afield hunting together but also introduce me to the game of trapshooting.  Jerry is the manager/chief/president of the Mitchell Gun Club and while other kids my age were golfing I was shooting trap.  I came to love the sport and with the guidance and teaching of Jerry and the other guys that took me under their wings' I prospered.  Just this past summer, I ended the league season with the highest overall average for the entire league. 
Anyway, he drew a South Dakota Black Hills Elk tag this year for the southern unit and the picture above is the result of 5 days of tough hunting.  Congrats Jerry!



No comments:

Post a Comment